It is the middle of winter but we are looking forward to beautiful sunny weather this weekend. Saturday, 25 Julie – Sunny 22 degrees. The perfect Winter Winelands day
There is something amazing about sunny winter days in the Winelands. With everything going on in our lovely country and the world, we can’t help but look and long for adventure.
Although we cannot fully enjoy everything that Stellenbosch has to offer at the moment, we can surely enjoy the outdoors and activities it has to offer. We have round-up of the most breathtaking and Instagram-worthy hiking trails suited for hikers of all levels.
Jonkershoek Nature Reserve waterfall hike
Perfect for easy walks in the fresh air, the first waterfall on this trail can be reached in just 15 minutes. Pack the picnic and gather the family to make a day of it.
For those eager to walk off all the good food and wine, there’s a 17km Panorama Trail. Moderate to strenuous activity.
For a longer hike, the full-length Jonkershoek Waterfalls trail is over 9km long, passing a stunning lake. Be warned, this is fir the fit and is rated difficult. The Panoroma Trail and Waterfalls Loop is a 13km trail, passing more stunning falls.
Berg River Hiking Trail
A 7-hour trail starting from the Jonkershoek Nature Reserve.
Beginning from the Nuweberg offices, choose from various routes from 5km ones to multi-day options including overnight hut stays.
Hike to the top of the peak in about 2 to 3 hours. Steep gradient (killer on the legs) but the views from the top makes it worth your while.
Swartboskloof Trail Loop
A lovely moderate hike of 5km, this trail winds its way through the Assegaaibosch Nature Reserve. https://www.hikingproject.com/trail/7037671/swartboskloof-loop-trail
Jonkershoek MTB Loop
This 18.5km loop is a popular mountain biking trail but also makes for a lovely hike, passing fields of wildflowers in season.
Adventure Shop Stellenbosch
For expertly guided and educational hikes, swing by the Adventure Shop. Apart from Jonkershoek guided hikes they offer Mushroom Foraging, educational Fynbos Hikes and more. These experiences are also great with children, especially during the next few weeks. Get your kids out into nature and they can learn about fynbos, insects and a lot more.
https://www.adventureshop.co.za/specials/ – and an added benefit is that if you book for three pax, a fourth tags along for free.
Tips for hiking in Stellenbosch:
- Always bring warm clothing and sunscreen- the weather can change rapidly.
- Save emergency numbers on your phone, ensure its charged and for longer hikes, ensure you have all the necessary safety equipment.
- Bring more water and snacks than you need.
- It goes without saying that good hiking boots are essential.
- Check routes and maps with the experts.
- Ensure you have the necessary documentation and permits.
- Some trails have to be pre-booked.
- Entry, payable at the Jonkershoek gate R50 for adults and R30 for kids. Book online to ensure a smooth entry. Call 021 483 0190 or visit www.booking.capenature.co.za to book online.
- Your Stellenbosch morning hike will not be completed without a coffee and freshly baked goods from one of our many options of coffee shops. Lanzerac Deli or De Warenmarkt are two of our favourites.
We would love to see and follow all your adventures in and around Stellenbosch, so tag us #ProudlyStellenbosch